Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Over a month in...

So I've been at this a little over a month. I've stuck with it, and overall I'm pretty happy. Here's some observations about the process so far....

I'm actually several days ahead at this point. I've got a buffer of about five review going. I'm hoping I can get this up to about 14 so I can take a few weeks off. Hockey season is coming to a close, which will make this a bit easier.

I'm pretty much planning my viewings at this point. I don't have a set schedule what I see and when, but I've got a general idea what days I'll watch something and whether I'm going to the theater or staying in.

I'm watching films differently. I'm actually thinking about what I'm going to write as I'm watching them. In some ways this is bad this, as I tend to over-analyze as I'm watching,but I am paying more attention. I sometimes make a conscious decision to just watch and enjoy (or hate) what I'm watching, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Reviews that I write right after viewing are generally better, especially if I've seen more than one film before writing reviews. A little distance tends to focus me more towards the themes of the film. This perspective sometimes pays off.

Talking about films is a bit strange now. Since I've generally written about it before I talk about it, my ideas are pretty well formed. I end up giving my opinion and then listening more than talking. Even though I listen, my ideas about the film are pretty ingrained and I don't change my mind too much.

Sometimes its a struggle to watch a film. I've got a schedule to keep up, and it becomes work. This is one reason I'm trying to create a buffer, so I can take a week off to renew my interest.

It's becoming harder to watch films I don't like all the way through. I haven't abandoned one yet, but fast-forward has looked mighty tempting on a few occasions.

No comments: