Tuesday, April 03, 2007

07-04-03 The Last Mimzy (2007)

Seen: March 31st, 2007
Format: Theater
Rating: 7

I really like Science Fiction. I started reading it as youngster and grew up with favorite authors, waiting impatiently for their new books to arrive. I assume it's a challenge to write good juvenile SF, to keep thing interesting without too many huge concepts, without too many political implications and with enough mild peril to engage, but not frighten.

The Last Mimzy took me back. It reminded me of the book A Wrinkle in Time. I was transported to a wonderful time in my life when my imagination dwarfed reality, when it was easy to consider things far beyond reality in a serious fashion.

This is a juvenile film. Many adult concepts are intentionally trivialized here. The way the government intervenes, for instance, is dramatically tuned down. Adult interactions are more direct and simple. Events with large implications have specific and targeted impacts, with few repercussions.

All this said, the story is very good. It is compact and drives well. There is very little extraneous information, and excellent exposition with subsequent impact. The screen writers know their craft. The special effects are well woven into the story, they are effective without dominating the story. There is little real "action", as none is really required by the story. With the exception of a few product placements, there's not much here that doesn't advance the story in some way.

My only criticism was the the inclusion of some "mystical" elements. While I thought it appropriate, the ramifications were a bit fuzzy and the connections not entirely resolved. While I don't need everything spelled out to enjoy a film, a juvenile film demands a bit more clarity.

Performances in general were very good. Some adult pieces had the touch of caricature, but that's how I saw certain adults as a child.

Camera work and lighting were invisible, which is appropriate. The visual style of the film was well executed. Different locations have each their own tone and feel appropriate to the story.

I have a soft spot for this film. Take your kids, encourage them to think and talk about this film.

Open your own mind and take a look through their eyes.

The Good: Juvenile mind-rattling

The Bad: Ill defined spooks

The Ugly: Poignant product placement

No comments: