Monday, April 16, 2007

07-04-16 The Public Enemy (1931)

Seen: April 13th, 2007
Format: DVD
Rating: 9

I like old movies. I find them interesting mostly because I tend to compare them to modern films, finding similarities between the old and the new. I've got to admit that I'm usually focused on the way film has progressed, evolved and grown up over the last century or so. I'm a bit of bigot, an ageist if you will, because I think that via evolution, today's films are, without a doubt, better than those of the past. And being a bigot, the truth is always a big, shocking surprise.

The Public Enemy is an amazing piece of work.

I was stunned by Cagney's screen presence. I've seen him parodied since I was a child. He is the staple gangster stereotype etched across the entertainment landscape. Bugs Bunny imitated him, and he was constantly referenced in Looney Tunes, which were my primary food group as a child. But to actually see him make Tom Powers come alive finally drove home why those stereotypes function at all. Cagney's characterization is simply riveting.

Tom Powers is bad. The early moments of the film establish that firmly. Cagney plays him this way. Tom is not without compassion, but he has a very small reservoir and it frequently runs dry. His actions are shocking because Cagney plays him so simply and honestly. There is no high drama here, no drawn out, clever or eloquent speeches. Tom is a man of actions, and his actions define him.

Cagney infuses Tom with life by his actions. Simple gestures and postures. Reactions to his situation and the people in it. He does things that shock us. The grapefruit scene is one of the most memorable in film. He plays Tom as a borderline psychotic, and treads that line beautifully.

The direction as well is spectacular. I was stunned by some of the camera work, which included moves and angles I considered modern. The shot compositions are also remarkable. The starkness of Tom entering the other gang's hideout alone speaks volumes. Wellman's choice to leave the violence off screen is particularly effective, as it lets our own imaginations take over. In my case, this is probably worse than actually showing it on screen.

If you appreciate the work of Scorsese, Tarantino, or perhaps Sidney Lumet, then The Public Enemy is definitely worth your time.

P.S. -I'll also state that during my viewing I was repeatedly reminded of A Clockwork Orange both visually and by the tone of the film. I wonder if Kubrick was a fan of The Public Enemy, as Alex could almost be a modern, hyperbolic version of Tom.

The Good: Cagney lights up the screen

The Bad: Bad to the bone

The Ugly: A homecoming to remember

No comments: