Tuesday, April 17, 2007

07-04-17 Stray Dog (Nora inu) (1949)

Seen: April 14th, 2007
Format: DVD
Rating: 6

I'm a pretty big Kurosawa fan. I like to believe that I have a basic understanding of him as a director. But somehow, Stray Dog misses the mark for me. And like Murakami, I feel at fault.

Perhaps my lack of interest stems from the fact that this period in Japanese history is unfamiliar to me. At this time, Japan was in a terrible state. Inflation was rampant, and many people turned to crime in order to survive. This desperation is something that the film takes for granted to some degree. Not knowing this, not really having this as part of my makeup, distances me from the context of the film.

The screenplay has been described as a noir, but I tend to see it as a straight crime drama/mystery. While there are shady characters aplenty, and a few twists, Stray Dog lacks the double-crossing and unapologetic, underlying menace that are the hallmarks of the noir. In fact, Kurosawa goes to lengths to humanize his characters, the criminal as well as the cop. This reconciliation is really the hope of the film.

This film also marks Mifune's second film with Kurosawa as director. Mifune is an amazing actor, but here I see him as immature. He is over dramatic in this role. His histrionics, which serve him well in later roles, seem misplaced here. The shame, despair and guilt that his character professes seem to surface more as anger. He is alternately dyspeptic and furious, and I have a hard time reconciling this with his character.

Shimura's Sato is a stark contrast. Not only is Sato different in character, Shimura plays him with a confident, understated ease which is brilliant. Shimura is as recognizable in Kurosawa's films a Mifune, as deserves as much attention. Like Sato to Murakami, one hopes Mifune learned from Shimura during this film.

I may be interesting to contrast Stray Dog with High and Low, another Kurosawa crime film seen from a completely different perspective, and with Dodesukaden, his film dealing with the same trials of the period as experienced by a small community of non-criminal citizens. I find these films a bit more compelling than Stray Dog.

In the end, this one needs to go back in the pile to be watched again when I've got more time and less to think about. If you're a Kurosawa fan see it now, if not, work your way here by way of some of his other work, you'll be glad you did.

The Good: Kurosawa begins his reign

The Bad: Mifune goes over the top

The Ugly: Crime as a way of life

No comments: