Friday, March 16, 2007

07-03-16 Sherrybaby (2006)

Seen: March 14th, 2007
Format: DVD
Rating: 6

I have a crush on Maggie Gyllenhaal. Since Donnie Darko. This makes me as unique as a Jetta driver.

Sherrybaby is a part of what seems to be a newish genre. The single (or virtually single) mom with serious problems trying to battle her demons and make her way in the world. This is a hard genre to drop in casual in conversation, and a harder genre in which to make an outstanding film.

The problem with this genre is that it is a growing one, filled with very sincere writers and film makers. This is a good thing. The bad thing is that there are too many stories. They are all important, especially to the people that have lived them. But there are so many and that they are difficult to differentiate.

For the first act of Sherrybaby I watched with my genre lens. I was continually comparing her to Vera Farmiga in Down to the Bone which I'd seen fairly recently. (Yes, I have crush on Vera as well). I was prepared for the same film, similar difficulties, similar trials and tribulations. But somewhere in the third act Sherrybaby took a small and subtle turn.

There was no single point of divergence. I could easily name three or four things which were part of the transition, but none of them were individually responsible. Whatever the case, the film turn a very real and very sincere turn, which I won't reveal here. As much as I want to tell you, it would only serve my own ego and not really tell you anything you couldn't discover for yourself. This turn made me like this film. Not love it, not revel in it, but respect the individual story that the film tried so sincerely to convey.

While Maggie Gyllenhaal is in the adolescence of a great career, and does admirably here, particular note should be made of Danny Trejo's role. He's an actor you know, but may not recognize by name. His against type turn here is simple, subtle, beautiful, and true. Kudos to him for turning a corner as an actor. Giancarlo Esposito is another favorite who turns in very solid performance; no more or less than the character requires.

If any of this appeals to you, see it. The rating may not so high as I strive for honesty, but there are great performances and moments here.

The Good: Solid and poignant drama with good performances.

The Bad: Perhaps lost in a sea of similar films.

The Ugly: We only hurt the ones we love.

No comments: