Sunday, March 04, 2007

07-03-04 Heaven's Prisoners (1996)

Seen: March 4, 2007 (and some time about 7 years ago...)
Format: Broadcast - HD - NHDMV (HDNet - Movies) (Previously on VHS)
Rating: 7

My rating is, without a doubt, a bit skewed. Years ago, someone turned me on to James Lee Burke and in particular, his series of novels about Dave Robicheaux, a recovering alcoholic, ex New Orleans policeman. I'm a fan of these novels, of which Heaven's Prisoners is the second. When I found out that it had been adapted for the screen, I had to check it out. After finally getting Dish (and thus joining the New Millenium) I stumbled across it again.

Unfortunately, like many adaptations, it loses something in translation. The film isn't bad by any stretch, but I wonder if I'd have liked it as much if I weren't already familiar with the charaters.

Casting was interesting. My only problem here was casting Baldwin. I like him, but my mind's eye had already cast someone a bit tougher, a bit more "heavy", a bit less polished. And also someone who could carry the bayou accent a bit more consistently and convincingly. He doesn't quite deliver the complexities of Dave, though this may be an adaptation problem as much as anything.

I thought Kelly Lynch was also a bit out of place, though her role isn't nearly as prominant as it is in the book. The rest were fine fits, and Teri Hatcher actually shines a bit in her role. There are a few caricatures, but they're brief and unimportant, as they should be.

Overall the film is a decent noir, though the locale may not be as familiar as some, which I find refreshing. The motivating factors are broad and simple, though a little undefined. The good and bad are sharply drawn, with a few Red Herrings to keep it all interesting. It's a little harsh at times, and a bit sweet at times too. Our hero has something to actually fight for in this film, not simply fight against.

Shot in New Orleans, the film has an authentic feel. Locations choices are very interesting and reflect the diverse flavors of the locale. The night time scenes are beautiful. The tones in general muted and subtle.

So pick up the novel and learn about Dave, then keep an open mind and settle in for a simple noir.

The Good: Locations and the overall look of the film. A solid story foundation.

The Bad: Really doesn't do the book full justice, but when does that ever happen?

The Ugly: Too much packed into too little time.

No comments: