Thursday, March 15, 2007

07-03-15 Harakiri (Seppuku) (1962)

Seen: March 12th, 2007
Format: DVD (Criterion)
Rating: 10

I was talking with a friend on the 12th about my ratings and how uncommon 10 ratings are. I won't rate a film a 10 simply because I love it. It has to also be generally recognized as a classic or revolutionary in its genre or time.

Harakiri is a 10.

I'm a huge fan of Shakespeare. I mention this because Harakiri, especially as delivered here, has the feel of Shakespeare for me. The film unfolds like a play. It slowly builds up expectations, leading you cheerfully down an obvious path, only to ambush your emotions and expectations. Its truth is startling and brutal. We feel our own shame and disgrace for having self-righteously aligned ourselves with the antagonist. We long for our own release, our own redemption.

Harikiri is rife with metaphor. It is rife with irony. It is, in the end, a tragedy, and one so currently common, that I wonder if it isn't, in some ways, more relevant in our time than in 1962, or in 1630. It's a complete canvas. A holistic blend of greatness along all axes; writing, directing, acting and cinematography.

I can't continue this without simply raving.

If you love high drama, Shakespeare, Japanese film or even the simple Samurai film, see this one soon. It may not be what you expect, but it won't leave you untouched.

The Good: Beautiful in many ways. Simple, but so complex.

The Bad: May be a too intense for some.

The Ugly: Hypocrisy in the face of honor.

No comments: