Sunday, March 04, 2007

07-03-05 Stranger Than Fiction (2006)

Seen: March 3, 2007
Format: Blu-Ray
Rating: 9

The thing about surrealism is that it requires that you surrender to its conceit, whatever that may be, to reap the rewards that it offers. Only while existing in the proffered alternate reality can you maintain the perspective required to fully reap the benefits of what is offered to you.

If you can't suspend your disbelief, see a different film.

I'm a sucker for emotional drama, I'll admit that freely. I love romantic comedy. I love tragedy. And I love all things in between if they give me the benefit of the doubt by admitting that I may have a shred of intelligence along with my emotion and simply present me with something on which to emote.

I love this film. Period.

I'm ashamed to say that I meant, so determinedly, to see it in the theater. I didn't, and I consider that a personal failure.

So, why?

Jeez; where to begin?

It's simple, really. This is the film which finally shows me, as opposed to telling me, all the things which hundreds of previous films have tried to convey:

  1. Make an effort to actually live your life.
  2. Love will find a way.
  3. Self sacrifice takes many forms.
  4. It doesn't have to be perfect to be perfect.

You'll notice (hopefully) by now, that I don't do synopses of films. I hate spoilers and I guess that I'm naive (and narcissistic) enough to believe that you'll read some of my reviews and align yourself with or against me on whatever axes you choose. Here's some more.

Will Ferrell has to be mentioned first, though I admit I've re-arranged this. His perfectly straight performance, absolutely true to the script, is the only reason this film works. There are many performances that are critical to this film, but his is the pivotal one. He carries it perfectly. I hope that his range is as versatile as this film suggests, that he didn't do well here just because of the underlying absurdity of the conceit. I think Maggie Gyllenhaal is amazing and have since I first noticed her in Donnie Darko. Not everything she does is gold, but she's the one to put your To Win money on. Emma Thompson I love as well. She, as well, relegates herself to the conceit, though we can't know how utterly completely until the final moments. We must wonder just how hard all the previous novels have been, and how much harder are they all now? Queen Latifah is one of my favorite actresses, and I know crap-all about her music. Dustin Hoffman? Given. And the list goes on.

Art Direction is superb and dramatically fades from the overstated to the understated appropriately.

I have to mention the ending. Just when I think that the cop-out is complete, that the whole beautifully surreal and inaccessible tableau, which corporate Hollywood can't possibly sell, has been twisted into wretched, crippled conformity; it all comes clear. Kudos to the writers. Kudos for an ending with some shred of hope that isn't miraculous, but merely human.

I'm in a wash of emotion, which you may or may not feel when you see this film. Regardless, I'd encourage you to not only watch this film, but commit to it and have your own reaction; positive, negative, anger, boredom, confusion, elation, whatever happens for you. I doubt you'll feel nothing, and isn't that what it's all about?

The Good: Brilliant Writing and Performances.

The Bad: Perhaps simplistic and "too accessible" compared to some other existential pictures.

The Ugly: Some transitional roughness as the film progresses from exposition to actual story.

1 comment:

Jonathan Griggs said...

As I walked out of the theatre after this one, I was sure that I really liked the movie, but I couldn't help but fixate on the flaws that kept it in 6 - 7 territory for me. I guess the "too accessible" nature of the material bothered me a bit more.

Take the Queen Latifah character, for example. What exactly was her purpose? It seems she's only there to spell-out in bold letters the motivation behind Karen Eiffel's death fantasies. The character reeks of producerly condescention to the audience. I think it would have been much more interesting if Eiffel wandered around without her interpreter and it was up to the viewer to put the pieces together.

It seems as though all the components were there for a brilliant film - and I'm probably being too hard on it - but I was disappointed that such a smart movie too often felt the need to water itself down for mass consumption.