Saturday, June 23, 2007

07-06-23 Birth (2004)

Seen: June 22nd, 2007
Format: DVD
Rating: 7


I'll admit that I avoided this film for a while. I thought the subject matter too creepy. I couldn't imagine it being handled in a fashion that wasn't borderline pedophilic and that I have no interest in. At all.

Mea Culpa, which seems to translate to My Bad.

Perhaps you've lost someone very close to you in a sudden, unexpected fashion. I have, and it took me years to process. Their passing left me with a huge hole in my life. I knew that it could never be filled by another single person. Having them suddenly arriving back in my life, and I've dreamed it off and on for years, would have an impact almost as large.

This is what this film is really about. Sean is that central to Anna's life, even ten years later. His arrival throws chaos into her life and those close to her. While the situation is definitely made stranger by Sean's age, would the character's reactions had been that much different if we were in his late teens, mid twenties or his "correct" age? If anything, his age lends some credence to the possibility of him being legitimate.

The reactions here are what's really the story. All the characters go through changes as they try to process Sean's existence. Each of them takes a journey which requires them to re-live their relationship with Sean to process his "return". This is, perhaps, the gift that Sean brings into all of their lives, Anna's in particular.

The performances here are excellent. This is a difficult film and they stand out because of that. Kidman's range and subtlety are impressive. There is a scene at the symphony which is particularly striking. In a single, long closeup, with no dialog, everything she processes marches across her face.

Cameron Bright is an impressive talent. He's a bit of a chameleon, and that suits him here. He avoids the trap of playing Sean with and self-righteousness or indignance. He realizes the character's conundrum and plays it firm, controlled and with passion, but without the petulance his age might infuse. Very well done.

The rest of the cast is excellent as well. I like Arliss Howard. Bacall is impeccable. Stormare is uncharacteristically reserved and surprisingly well cast here. Heche plays incipient psycho like nobody's business.

The only down side for me here is Danny Huston. His portrayal seems flat, uninflected. His emotions are too broad, and swing too quickly. Frankly, I just don't like the guy, and there's nothing here to cause me to revise my opinion.

This is a well-shot and subtly beautiful film. There are great, quiet moments where the composition and lighting lend the film substance and tone. There seems to be a "light in the darkness" theme running through it. This seems to be an antithesis to the opening scene.

I like this film and it's one of the few I may watch again. There's great characterization here and a scenario that's at best difficult for everyone involved. This is a strong premise, and it's well explored here.

The Good: Handling of the material


The Bad: Danny Huston


The Ugly: Coveting your neighbor's wife

No comments: