Sunday, June 10, 2007

07-06-10 Five Easy Pieces (1970)

Seen: Jun 5th, 2007
Format: Broadcast (HDNMV - HDNet Movies)
Rating: 4

I must've been in the wrong mood to watch this film. I've heard it referenced as a classic, award winning, ground breaking, trend setting, ad infinitum.

I just don't see it.

I really don't get the point of the film at all. Is it trying to say the rich and privileged don't understand what life is about? Is it saying that there's no really difference between the rich and poor, that they're essentially the same problems but on different scales? I can really tell.

The reason that I can't tell is that all I really see here is a man who isn't satisfied and doesn't know why. He acts badly. He wants and gets, and then wants something else. He can't really appreciate anyone but himself, and doesn't really appreciate that.

Maybe it's about what Catherine says about him not loving himself. Maybe this is supposed to be a journey of self reconciliation and discovery. If so, it really doesn't work on that level either.

I'm not saying that Bobby isn't interesting or that Nicholson doesn't do a good job playing him. I see some of myself in him. I understand a lot of what he may be going through. But that doesn't make me like him. It doesn't make me respect him.

Maybe this one is just too close to home, but the entire film was pretty much lost on me, and that's not common. I'll not go off on acting, directing, editing and the rest, because with a few exceptions, they're not that important. When they are important, they're done well. But in light of what I consider basically a fundamentally poor story and script, it's not worth the effort.

Make your own decision.

The Good: I have no idea

The Bad: Idiot backseat philosophizers

The Ugly: Walking away

No comments: