Friday, May 11, 2007

07-05-11 Night at the Museum (2006)

Seen: May 9th, 2007
Format: Blu-Ray
Rating: 6

If you've read some of my previous reviews, you may be aware that Ben Stiller bugs me. I think he's a pretty gifted guy. I was a fan of his parents' growing up. He's got good timing and a wicked, twisted sense of humor. But a lot of times he just goes for it and misses big.

This isn't one of those times.

This is a chraming little flick. It serves a great purpose by potentially encouraging kids to learn about history. It's squarely aimed at kids. And that's a shame.

There are few jokes here that are designed for adults by flying under the kid radar in Looney Tunes fashion. They're clever enough, but they're few and far between. Everything here plays to a lowest common denominator of about 12 years old. That's a real shame because it wouldn't have taken much to change the film to one with a slightly broader appeal.

It's not bad however. There are some clever bits. It stays very true to story and true to form. There's very few real surprises here, it all plays out pretty much as you'd expect. The twist on the old guards is a bit of a surprise and a welcome one. There's seems to be a lot of story missing. The premise is one that could be expanded on very easily, and there are a few portions that seem as if they weren't given the chance to shine. I could see this a series for kids and adults.

Van Dyke, Cobbs and Rooney are great here. They're probably my favorite part of the film. Robin Williams was well cast and does an excellent job. He doesn't run away with the film, though I can't say whether the restraint was his or the director's. I have a huge crush on Carla Gugino, so she's always amazing. Stiller does a good job. He's appropriately emotional and vulnerable. I believe that he wants to be a good dad. I have a feeling that he made this film for his kids as much as himself. The rest of the supporting cast is less noticed, as they should be.

The premise is executed nicely. Sets are impressive. The effects, with the exception of the whale, are effective and generally seamless. The film feels contained, with most of it taking place in the museum itself. It becomes the world that really matters, and this seems appropriate.

I enjoyed this film. I'll forget it soon, and I should have seen it with my niece and nephews, and maybe I'll still get the chance.

The Good: Van Dyke plays the villain

The Bad: Aiming for the lowest common denominator

The Ugly: Retirement

No comments: