Wednesday, May 02, 2007

07-05-02 Hot Fuzz (2007)

Seen: April 29th, 2007
Format: Theatre
Rating: 9

Some claim this film is a parody. Some say it's a satire. But I can't agree with either. What we have here is a rarer form of genre acknowledgement. This, my friends, is an homage.

Dozens of films had to be watched multiple times in order to make this film. And not merely watched. Those films were analyzed, dissected, culled, reworked, reassembled and ultimately reanimated. Only by doing this were the writers able to so completely represent the genre that is buddy cop. All this focused attention points to only one thing: love.

Or maybe passion or perhaps even obsession. But if we've learned nothing else at all from the hundreds of psychological thrillers, we know that they're all ultimately the same thing any way.

This film can be enjoyed on many different levels. You can watch it as a farce. Or a wry twisted comedy filled with a dozen subtle jokes. Maybe it's a horror film or a thriller to you. Or perhaps a self-discovery film. But for some of us, this is a witty and skillful distillation of all that this good, bad and ugly about the genre. It represents it completely and accurately, with very good humor, but without sarcasm, condescension or disdain.

Watch it any way you want. Maybe you hate this genre. Maybe you love it. It really doesn't matter. Go see it. If you're under 17, con or pay some adult so they'll take responsibility for you and go see it. Tell 'em I said so. Go make these men rich so that they'll keep doing this.

There's really nothing more to say. I'm not going to talk characterization. I'm not going to debate a deeper message. I'm not going to talk about camera angles, lighting or production design, because you've seen them all before. I won't tell you a single thing that could spoil it for you.

I will say that I liked it even better than Shaun of the Dead, which you should also go see.

Unless you're squeamish.

P.S. I'm hoping to upgrade this to a 10 eventually.

The Good: Dedication to Duty

The Bad: Family ties

The Ugly: Taking one on the chin

1 comment:

Jonathan Griggs said...

Here's one vote for upgrading this to a 10. It really does work on every level for me and is thus far my favorite theatrical release of 2007.

Count me in the crowd that really liked Shaun of the Dead, but wasn't ape-shit crazy about it. Hot Fuzz converted me to a slobbering fan-boy. I can't wait for Wright and Pegg's next movie.