Thursday, July 10, 2008

08-07-10 So I Married an Ax Murderer

Seen: July 8th, 2008
Format: Broadcast (HDNMV - HDNet Movies)
Rating: 4

Mike Myers is tough for me. I have to give him credit for his uncanny ability to see right to the heart of what make something funny. I also have to admit that his ideas are simply gold.

But it's the execution that really matters.

Myers' film generally fall flat for me. They leave wishing that he'd made different choices, generally about how he lets his other stars participate. Each of his films is really a vehicle for him to ham it up, which sometimes works.

The thing about Ax Murderer is that it's the nascent form of his more modern work. Even at this point, the formula was mostly complete. Pretty girl with a quirk, protagonist with a bigger quirk who mugs consistently, a sidekick whom he upstages and various minor amusing characters. A central theme to riff on, an ethnicity or tradition to riff on to keep things fresh. It's all as present here as it is in his later films.

And it works just about as well.

My problem with all his films is not their subject matter. I'm not easily offended and can take a joke at my expense, especially a brilliant or poignant one. My problem lies in the single note nature that they take on. While the jokes may be spread out, each one is, in turn, beaten utterly to death. Myer's doesn't deliver a punchline, he beats it repeatedly into senselessness.

I believe that some folks actually enjoy this, as some sort of meta-humor. It's beyond the nudge-nudge-wink-wink all the way to laughing at people laughing at something that's simply no longer amusing, much less funny.

The film is OK. It's not the worst thing I've seen by far. Nancy Travis is sweet, funny, and does the slightly psycho turn fabulously. Amanda Plummer is a bit type cast, but serviceable. Anthony LaPaglia is the surprise here, turning in an amusing part without overplaying too badly. His bits with Arkin are truly inspired, though under explored. Phil Hartman is magnificent, and I'm reminded how badly he's missed.

If you think I'm an idiot at this point, go immediately and see this (again). If not, keep looking for it on late night TV, curl up with your beverage and companion of choice and draw your own conclusions.

The Good: A nostalgic look back
The Bad: Seeing it all, then having to wait for it all to happen
The Ugly: Mature women on the make

No comments: