Friday, August 03, 2007

07-08-03 Terms of Endearment (1983)

Seen: July 25th, 2007
Format: Broadcast (HDNMV - HDNet Movies)
Rating: 8

This is another of those films that I probably should have seen a whole lot sooner. It's considered a classic by many, and that's been factored into my rating. I've just looked up James L. Brooks on IMDB because I like to know about my film makers.

He's one of the driving forces behind The Simpsons.

If that doesn't create an interesting juxtaposition, I don't know what does. Obviously Larry McMurtry had more than a little to do with this as well, but I believe that a lot of the success of bringing the tone of these characters to the screen belongs to Brooks. Watching his next film, Broadcast News, another character driven piece, dramatically reinforces this.

Terms of Endearment is all about relationships. It's about how what's going on around us impacts us and the way we relate to others. It's about changing and fighting change. It's about reconciling who we are with who we want to be and who we wish other were. That's a pretty bold and general statement, but it doesn't seem too far off.

All of this happens in an environment that we can all relate to, the family drama. The characters that matter here are rich beyond words. This is due to both the writing and the acting. While the leads' performances are spot on, without the material, there'd be nowhere for them to go.

McLaine's Aurora is particularly complex. McLaine plays her with a depth and conviction that's almost mesmerizing. While she comes off largely as a harpy, there's an underlying fear that marks her character and provides her the challenge to ultimately become human. We may not like Aurora much, but we can, to some degree, sympathize with her and hold out hope for her redemption. I found myself comparing her to Keaton's Daphne Wilder in Because I Said So. Where Keaton fails so dramatically, McLaine succeeds in grand style.

Winger's role is no less impressive. Where her mother is self-centered and domineering, Emma is more relaxed. She's not the free spirit some might accuse her to be. She is deeply loyal to her family, even to Flap. She works hard for them, but for the most part maintains an air of optimism and fun. It's easy to characterize her as vacant, but she chooses this outlook, largely to contrast that of her mother. But she is no less solid, no less thoughtful and no less strong.

Flap and Garrett are characters on the cusp. While integral to the story, they're really only foils for the women. Garrett is a least a little interesting, but ultimately he's there only to act as a catalyst for Aurora's change.

The tone of the film is simple and straight forward. It's pace is solid, never plodding, but moving fairly simply from one moment to the next. There's no need for complexity in the details of the film. The story and acting is what matters here, and what the film will be remembered for.

While I enjoyed this film, I can't really say that it amazed me. I wanted to feel a bit more attached, a bit more invested in these characters. While they're well realized, I didn't find I had that much in common with them. While I was interested, I can't say that deep down, their fates really mattered to me.

But that's my problem.

The Good: An honest story realized with excellent acting

The Bad: Could be a bit more compelling

The Ugly: Acting your age

No comments: