Wednesday, July 11, 2007

07-07-11 Ratatouille (2007)

Seen: July 6th, 2007
Format: Theater
Rating: 4

In the nature of full disclosure, I ate a lunch of steamed dumplings, seared Ahi and a nice wheat beer (just one!) before seeing this film. Maybe that's why I almost nodded off.

Maybe not.

I love Pixar's films. Even pre-Toy Story, their shorts were very well executed, witty and touching. They're a unique group with a well defined and honed style. Their films are known of for high quality and integrity. Simple enough for kids, complex enough for adults, they can be enjoyed on multiple levels. They're finely wrought works of art.

This is one of the reasons that Ratatouille was so disappointing to me.

Basically, I didn't find the spark of orignality in this film which I seen previously. The characters are generally weaker. With possible exceptions of Skinner, Gusteau and Remy, they aren't well defined or developed. While they may have a few interesting traits, and some may have an interesting back story or interlude, they don't really go anywhere consistently. Many are window dressing. Linguini, in particular, is flat and without soul. His use as a marionette is apt.

Skinner is well done. Well written, developed and portrayed. Remy is as well, though of a less complex, and therefore less interesting manner. Gusteau is an interesting manifestation. Though not present, I feel that I know him better via reflection than most of the other characters in their presence.

The plot in general is flat. While the underlying themes are tried and true, and the selection of protagonist an interesting, though perhaps not inspired, choice. The actual realization of the journey is generally predictable. More so than any of Pixar's other films, this one feels Disney-fied. The most interesting part of the film is not Remy's quest, or the eventual change of heart of his clan and the restaurant staff, but the side plot of Skinner selling out.

Pixar's high production values remain intact. Character design, animation, production design, sound, it's all of very high quality and suites the film well. The voice talent is good.

There are the obligatory, sly references to previous films. There are few decent jokes and running gags. I'll even admit that there was at least one moment that touched me enough to tear up. But on the whole, it's flat and fairly uninteresting. I literally struggled to stay awake at one point, which hasn't happened in a theater since I saw 300.

I feel bad about the rating I've given this film, but realistically, that's where it falls. Maybe I'll see again as a rental and revise this. Maybe not.

Aside: Trailer selections for G films are very interesting

The Good: It's Pixar

The Bad: Somehow just uninspired


The Ugly: Rats in the kitchen.

No comments: